Dose of reality...again

I have now been living with GBS for 1.5 years  - it has not been easy always staying positive and optimistic about my recovery. Many tears are cried from my frustrations about my situation. I hate seeing what is doing to my Mom - she uprooted herself from Thunder Bay to be by my side to see me through this journey I am now facing.

GBS - no known reason, no known cure = so many unknowns. The challenge with unknowns it is difficult to predict one’s future. You also learn that thinking too far in the future leads to frustration and negativity. To stay positive and maintain optimism, I struggled to stay “in the now” and being a thinker, only look a few months ahead.

Another dose of reality is that a wheelchair is going to be in my now and short term reality so I better accept that. The OT staff were so patient with me as I adjusted to sitting in a wheelchair. The OT team became my “MacGyver” in helping me increase my endurance in the chair and creating for me a tray to relax my arms initially out of cardboard then the wood working team made it out of vinyl. 

It was becoming a reality- I will need to buy my own wheelchair. It seems so permanent. Again my OT team, my Social worker and the vendor representative helped me order and fit my wheelchair. It was like buying a car - you buy the basic model and then you add the updates - over $8000.00 was  the final total. Lucky for me purchasing a wheelchair would be covered with my health and wellness account from work. BUT what a surprise I would receive - Alberta Blue Cross reimbursed me for the full amount. 

How fortunate I feel to live in Alberta. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me