Char James

This past month it has been filled with emotions and remembering friends who have gone through similar situations. Then remembering when I had to face a similar situation. Definitely a mood roller coaster ride. 


Last week, I was told a family friend received the diagnosis of terminal skin cancer. Gosh I hate that disease! Her name is Char James. From nearly dying of Guillian Barre Syndrome (GBS) in 2016, it gives you pause to reflect on your life and those in it. Looking back, you reflect who has made a significant impact to your life. For me - Char James is one of those people. Reading peoples comments from her daughters’ Facebook posts, you will see a common theme - Bible Camp. Be it from Dorion Bible Camp (Dorion, Ontario) or Chestermere Bible Camp (Chestermere, Alberta). For me, it was Dorion Bible Camp. I began attending at age 7 and attended for next 14 consecutive summers. I began a wonderful friendship with Char, when I began working as a kitchen girl, to head kitchen girl to assistant cook with Millie. Throughout those summers, I was Char’s prayer partner which began us sharing ourselves with each other. 





Everyone has to face hardships and it though these times you find your true friends to get you to the other side. The constant in my life have been the James Family - Andy and Char and their 7 children - Amanda, Mark, Amy, Sara, David, Jon and Peter and later Char’s  grandchildren too. They became my safe place when I was with them. Seeing me through my mom’s Stage 3 breast cancer diagnosis and 9 months later my sister’s cancer diagnosis. Then again 18 months later when Kathryn’s cancer came back. Through example, I learned that during these dark times, the importance of faith. To believe you are never alone. Then the devastation of losing Kathryn, who died by her own hand. Char was the first person I called after receiving the news of my sister’s death. The 45 min layover in Calgary, where I went directly into the arms of Char for comfort. The family and I cried and prayed in the arrival area of the airport. As I flew home, my dread turned into a sense of peace knowing what I had to be for my family and I have people praying for me. It was a comfort. 


When I talk about Char, I say she is like my second mom. It was great saying my two mom’s have the same name - Charlotte. There has been times where I have been asked when I am with Amanda, Amy, or Sara, “Is that your sister?”. I smile and say kind of - a friend who is like a sister. So many wonderful memories of my visits to Calgary, and the James family weddings and birthdays. Going shopping at Pennington’s or going furniture shopping for Chestermere Bible Camp. One visit I joined Char at the Tuc shop at Chestermere Highschool, seeing her interact with the students. She seeing her nurturing encouragement to them, just as Char continues to do for me. My life has forever changed - I don’t know how a friendship turns into being intertwined in my life to become an extended part of my family. To be an honorary “Auntie” to many of Char’s grandchildren too . All I know is, that it has and my life is blessed because of it. 


Just as one would with their children, sometimes you have to give “tough love”. As a true friend, sometimes you need to hear something you just don’t want to hear or didn’t know you needed to hear. Though it was a hurt, it was God’s blessing as it lead me to seek professional counselling. Through this counselling, I became to heal inwards. To gain tools which I still use today. September 2016 I was diagnosed with Guillian Barre Syndrome (GBS) which has left me a quadriplegic. I know I wouldn’t be able to daily face my situation without my faith and the healing from past traumas too. If I didn’t go to Dorion Bible Camp all those years ago and didn’t become a part of the James family clan, I don’t know where I would be. 


What a blessing you and your family has been to me Char. You have not only impacted my life, you have left an imprint on countless other people. You are so loved. I love you Char. I am going to miss you. Thank you for being in my life Char.

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing Laura. Crying at the beautiful truth of your words❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me