Off to the dentist...

Don’t know too people where going to the dentist is a happy appointment. I am one of them. It’s been about 3 years since seeing a dentist and being I was in a hospital for almost 2 years. So the next step was to make the appointment. I called explained about my health status and that I am now in a wheelchair. Knowing the difficulties I faced with Access Calgary due to the width of my chair, I asked it the doors were 36 inches wide. Unfortunately the answer was no. Okay - what do I do now?

Dr. Samis, my hospitalist at PLC came to my rescue. He knew of a dentist who used to work at the Dental Clinic at Foothills who now has his own practice - Dr Petty. The day has come, and Access Calgary picks up my mom and I for the dental appointment. Had no issues with the doors (yeah!!) and when I went into their larger room, there was the same lift they use at Skypointe. As I had my sling under me, the dental assistant was able to lift me from the wheelchair to the dentist chair. This was the first chair that I have sat in that wasn’t my wheelchair. It felt good and one more milestone for me too. Great news - no cavities!!!

My ride home was eventful - while driving out of the downtown core, he had to do some defensive driving by putting on the brakes quickly to avoid being in an accident with a SUV which went through a stop sign. Unfortunately, when we came to a stop my body thought to continue to slide down the wheelchair. The driver told us that AC policy, he isn’t able to help boost me up, he would hav to call an ambulance to help us. Well, my mom didn’t want any of that - so we braved it and we continued home bound. Mom was so cute giving me the play by play of the ramps off the Deerfoot Trail and then onto to Country Hills Blvd. As mom had called ahead to my nursing station, once we arrived at Skypointe, my Nursing Assistant (NA) Webster was waiting for us along with another NA to give me a boost so I could get out of the bus. It was nice to relax in my bed after that excitement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GBS: Learning to Accept and Adapt

Happy 50th Birthday to me