Covid-19 at Skypointe




April 12, 2020 - Facebook post

In the news, in Canada and other countries around the world, we read the impact that Covid-19 is having in our Long Term Care (LTC) facilities and how quickly this virus is spreading to both residents and staff workers. It became really “real” for me what I could be facing after what in the LTC facility in Washington state and in Vancouver. Won’t lie - it does increase one’s anxiety and it’s scary how fast the death could come to these vulnerable people, now my new family. I have been been at AgeCare-Skypointe for 1.5 years and in the past 6 months, some of the residents who were with me from the opening 6West have passed away. I basically have done dining with the other residents, so was surprised how some of their deaths hit me harder than others. I couldn’t imagine what it must feel being a resident in a home/facility where you lose 4 in a day or a dozen in a week. How do you comprehend that? 

This week, our facility had to face Covid-19 with a staff member. I want to commend the work my facility is doing to keep their staff and residents safe and healthy. For over 2 weeks now, every resident gets their temperature measured at least 2-3 times a day - symptomatic or not. Every essential visitor is screened (incl. temperature) before going to a wing and staff are screened before each shift. Unfortunately, earlier this week, we were notified that a staff member on our 5th floor (LTC), tested positive. As per provincial guidelines/restrictions as well as our normal respiratory outbreak protocols were put in place. Thankful all residents have private room which makes isolation easier to do. Thankful all residents were tested and they all came back negative (Amen). Today, as per the provincial medical health officer - all staff are to where mask throughout their shift. In addition, provincial directive - you cannot work in multiple LTC facilities to reduce the risk of spreading the virus, especially if we are asymptotic. 

I put myself in self isolation in my room since the first week of March. Luckily with internet in my room, I am enjoying the technology we have available today to stay connected with family and friends. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Easter Season. Continue to stay healthy and safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 50th Birthday to me

GBS: Learning to Accept and Adapt