Music therapy with Spotify

When I was an inpatient at the Foothills Hospital’s Acute Intense Rehabilitation floor (Unit 58) from September 21, 2017 to April 5, 2018; one the therapies I was asked to join was Music 🎶 therapy. I didn’t do a group sessions, I was able to have private sessions in my room. Many times my mom joined me as it was the early afternoons after lunch. Through these sessions, the importance music can have in one’s recovery. Have the music match your mood be it somber, happy music with a great rhythm to sway to or inspirational (Christian music) to find encouragement. Just like the breathing yoga sessions I attended with recreational therapy, certain music provided me with a method of refocusing my pain (especially when my Foley catheter had to get change  - still quite painful to have done).


During my annual family conference meeting last year (2019), my brother suggested is there a way to bring music therapy to my routine again has it could help me staying positive as well as help with relieving stress and pain for me. Well, I was able to receive music therapy but not by a person but from Spotify via a Google Mini a friend gave me. What a great addition to my room! I can now listen to music to fall asleep too. Or play to help distract me from pain or give me comfort when I am down. 


Having Spotify has made some times with my HCAs come to change and transfer me, a time of laughter. One of my HCAs, Webster, brings laughter to my room regardless if music is playing. In the Spring, multiple days in a row he would ask Google to play, “My Way” by Frank Sinatra or “Green, Green Grace” or “Love will see you though” (his wedding song). This theme is dance - kept on asking Google to play “Savage Love”. It’s from the social media platform of TicTok. What makes you laugh 😂 is that Webster tries to get the other HCAs do the TikToc dance moves while taking care of me. Sometimes that is the perfect medicine to make you happier to face your day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 50th Birthday to me

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician