Received great news yesterday (Oct 13, 2021) - AADL (Alberta Aids to Daily Living) has officially approved my application in purchasing a powered wheelchair 🦼. They will be purchasing the wheelchair itself, the cost of the tilting mechanism (~$3500.00) plus granted me another $4000.00 towards the cost of the Vigo technology to run the wheelchair. Maximum Healthcare is the name of the vendor providing me with the wheelchair as well as other accessories to help with my daily living such as a lifting of the wheelchair seat so that I can speak to someone at eye level for a change. The total cost for me will be $8003.00 for upgrades and accessories. So just like buying a new car or a house even, that is what has gone into purchasing my powered wheelchair. There is the basic powered chair (~$20,000) + all the upgrades (~$12,000)

Excited to see what doors will open, literally. The major accomplishment for me, is going through the door of the sunroom area. My manual chair’s width prevented me from going inside. How exciting to be able to have my visits with family and friends there instead of in my room. To know I can gain some independence is thrilling, almost like I am gaining back something that I thought I had lost. This will be such a blessing in my life, being a part of a community again. 

Here are some videos of my trialing the powered wheelchair using a Vigo headset and Bluetooth to control the wheelchair. The chair I used didn’t have a tilting mechanism, so didn’t quite allow me to be more upright in the chair. 





Comments

  1. YAY, AMEN, and HALLELUJAH!!
    So pleased you got the approval and will soon(?) be zooming around spreading your joy more freely

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me