Brotherly love

Thanks to mom - she gave me an early birthday gift - a visit from my brother Bruce. Dealing with such a health crisis with your family living in another province, it is difficult/challenging. Knowing how much it meant to have my brother visit last year, my mom mad the opportunity we could have another visit this year.

It was so nice that he was able to see me in my new home and not in a hospital setting. I was in ICU when Bruce visited the previous year and just learning how to talk without my trach. Having him to meet the staff and my surroundings around Skypointe was great as I know that is a worry living far away, ensuring I am receiving good quality of care.  We had some good sister-brother chats during his week here. Just like he did last visit, he helped my mom and I with some house maintenance - paint touch ups. What a huge help to me as I had to prepare selling my house. My brother had realized that my front door had seen better days, faded by our weather over the years. Bruce gave it a facelift with a new coat of paint. What a handy brother I have.

During his visit this time, he was able to meet my friends Sara and John Paterson. They have been great friends to me as well as to mom especially these past 2 years. Of course their 5 children have given me such joy and smiles while in the hospital too. So it was great seeing Bruce and John hit it off. After ensuring I was settled in my room, the 4 of them went off to my mom and John’s favourite restaurant, Ginger Beef. Good company, good food - can’t ask for more.

The day before my brother left for home, he helped me download tv shows and movies to “My List” on Netflix. That was a huge help to me as he was able to click away and making the process smooth. It was wonderful to spend time with Bruce and my mom that week. One night, Bruce joined my mom with two other great friends to mom and I - Marilyn Shoults and Karen Humby.  Below is a photo of 4 of them taken in downtown Calgary.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GBS: Learning to Accept and Adapt

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me