Funny stories from unit 54

Being on unit 54, I learned with patients with dementia that it helps if you try to be in “their world” when communicating. The unit had their rooms in an oval type shape, so majority of the you see patients going around in circles. My room was on a corner so there were at times I had visitors which lead to funny encounters.

The first day I arrived such an encounter occurred. A gentleman from the room next door came into my room by accident. Being confused he asked me “What are you doing in my home? Get out of my house.” I replied, “Oh didn’t your family tell you, I am renting this room. Your is next door.” He seemed content with that response and turned to leave my room. Unfortunately as he turned around his diaper fell down to his ankles. As he bented down to pick up his diaper, his gown open in the back   showing his backside. It was too cute seeing him shuffling to the room next door trying to hold onto his diaper. He visited my room a few more times before being transferred to a LTC facility.

An Italian fellow kept the nursing staff on their toes, he was a one-one type patient, and enjoyed his walks around the unit. One time he came into my room. Only speaking Italian, not knowing if understood what I was saying, tried with basic pleasantries - “Hello. How are today?...” Suddenly he walked pass my friend and reached across my bed and grabbed my foot. I realized he wanted to give some love has he bent down and kissed my foot. The nurse, my friend and I had a a chuckle over that scene.

One week I had heard from the hallway around the supper time music of Johnny Cash and Kenny Rogers. I asked the nurse who was playing the music. It a gentleman who has early onset Alzheimer’s and the music helps him to be calm, less agitated. He was a frequent visitor during my stay on unit 54. Bryan was a Calgary police officer who worked downtown. So sometimes he would come to my room to let me know, my room was a secured and I was safe. If I needed anything an officer was just outside. Bryan loved his music and loved to dance. Bryan liked to show off his dance moves when he visited. It wasn’t dancing with his feet, Bryan showed off dance moves by moving his hands to a rhythm rising his arms up and down. Easy to bring a smile as you see the joy on his face.

One of favourite moments came fellow patient Bob who was a cattle rancher. One night he shuffled into my room around 10pm with his walker. He then turned to sit on his walker in the middle of my room. Not knowing what he wanted but he looked like he was on a mission. “Hey Bob. How’s it going?”. He replies, “Well, I am here for our meeting “. Oh dear what am I respond to that? So I said, “I must have missed the memo Bob. What is the meeting about?” Sounding a bit annoyed that I didn’t know what we were to discuss. Bob replies, “Well the cattle of course! My sons will be here soon.” He suddenly stood up and walked out of my room. Too funny. The next afternoon, my mom and I returned from outside I saw Bob with his wife in the seating area on the unit. Remembering my encounter with Bob the night before, I asked Bob “So how are the cattle?” Sounding surprised he said “How do you know about my cattle?”. I replied “You told me last night at our meeting”. Satisfied with my answer, “Oh. They are fine. Thanks.” I smiled as my mom wheeled me to my room as I told her the story. Such a cutie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GBS: Learning to Accept and Adapt

Happy 50th Birthday to me