Moving to the Transitional unit

It was 6.5 months on the acute rehabilitation unit 58 at Foothills where I learned:
- To sit in my wheelchair for 4 hours consistently every day
- To feel comfortable sitting in public and being fed by someone else
- To accept my new reality with the help of my psychologist
- Finding tools to decrease my stress or pain level through yoga breathing and music
- To play cribbage again with the help of a card holder
- To use technology to be able to connect with family and friends again. My lifeline!

As I achieved the goals set on the rehabilitation unit, I now am placed on the waiting list to move to a long term care facility (nursing unit). As there were no openings, I was transferred back to PLC unit 54 - Transitional unit; patients awaited placement to a LTC facility. Some patients due to mobility issues cannot live on their own (like me) and of course some had a form of dementia and cannot live on their own anymore. I feel that being on this floor, it surely prepared me to sort of what to expect when I go to a nursing home.

Just as I had at Foothills, many of my nursing staff came from the Phillipines. The singing and care was familiar which made feel at home and safe. Without sharing my time at Foothills, one of the nurses began singing the song “Please tell Laura I love her...” - had a chuckle and smile as it reminded me of Elvie at Foothills who sang that song when coming into my room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GBS: Learning to Accept and Adapt

Happy 50th Birthday to me