Feels like climbing a mountain

Throughout my journey with GBS, people have said “You have been so brave”, “You have been so strong”, “I don’t know how you do it Laura, staying positive”. Guess what - neither do I at times. I don’t know how to answer them - shrug my shoulders and give a smile and a thank you.

GBS is testing me on my physical health (paralysis) but it tests your mental/emotional health too. Testing me not to fall into the negativity or dwelling on scenarios of unknown futures or dwelling on things that are out of my control. All can lead to bouts of depression and feeling to give up/stop trying because what is the point. Saw this poem about “The Mountain” - it showed me you might want that “big step” but be satisfied you are stilling moving forward with your baby steps or even those mini-baby steps. It might not feel you are going to get to the top of the mountain but looking back, you realize the distance you have gone. Sometimes it is good to look back so you can see the improvements you have actually made. And I have made improvements this past year.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 50th Birthday to me

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician