Fighting through frustration

I know in a previous post, I said that the one word to describe my journey with Guillian Barre Syndrome was BLESSINGS. That statement is still true. Of course in any journey we walk we will have many others words to express our experiences. One of those words for me would have to be Frustration. 

How could it not be in my situation? A rare disorder (1-2 per 100,000 people) with no real reason and no cure either. To top it off, “Sorry to say this is the worst case I have ever seen.” - needing to be on life support for 10-11 months because I couldn’t breath on my own, but devastatingly I am unable to move from the shoulders down. I am a quadriplegic. Frustration, anger, feeling sorry for myself that I could no longer move my body. I have lost control, I have lost my independence with a snap of my fingers. 

Almost 3 years now (September 9, 2019) - I would categorize myself as an incomplete quadriplegic as I have begun recovering some movements in my body but still paralyzed from the shoulders down. Still living a totally dependent lifestyle in a nursing home with people who are 15+ years older than I am. I have no control of bodily functions so totally reliant on nursing staff to change and clean me as well as transport me to my wheelchair. I have those frustrating days when things aren’t going my way. You want to scream, cry when the frustrations get too much bottling up inside! 

It has been quite the process but I am learning to deal with my frustrations better. For me it is changing my mindset (easier said then done). If I stay in my frustrations too long, this when my “unknown reality” begins to feel overwhelming as you think of different scenarios I could be facing, each with a different outcome, not always positive. 

Recently, my doctor and I realize that I have gone as far as I can without mental health support; but with my upcoming nerve conduction test (July 31, 2019) I will be facing some reality information on how which nerves are regenerating and which ones are not. Information that will assist in preparing for my future, whatever it maybe. We know to have a professional mental health person to help me process through this information will be vital towards not falling into depression. As it has worked before, using the tools I was shown 10 years ago in counselling now, I am sure if I have tools to deal with emotions of this life-changing ordeal I will find that space where I can say “I will be okay.”






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 50th Birthday to me

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician