My HCA - Edith


It’s almost been a year since arriving at AgeCare - Skypointe continuing care facility. Quite the adjustment for a 47 year old to be living in home where I am 15-20+ years younger then everyone. I arrived mid-morning and as I came off the elevator, there in the tv common area, a circle of residents in wheelchairs facing the tv. Hard dropped thinking is this my life now?

One of my first HCAs (home care aide) to assist me in getting settled into my room was Edith. Such a bubbly and positive person - you can tell right away. Edith is originally from Peru, but has been in Canada for 20 years now, but she not lost her Spanish accent. We became good friends this past year, not surprisingly as she is just one year older than I am. I love her energy - we share many laughs. People must wonder is going in my room with both of our loud laughs. The times for changing or transporting me to my chair from my bed, plenty of laughs as we share stories.

Just like Edith I have  a good relationships with the other HCAs on my wing. The friendly banter bringing smiles and laughs in my room on a daily basis. Edith and the rest of my 6West Martindale team have helped me feel like I am in my home. Means the world to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 50th Birthday to me

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician