Words of encouragement: Don’t give up

My journey with GBS has been a long and agonizingly slow process. Reading other survivors’ stories and finding the whole thing frustrating and asking myself many times, “Why”. 

‘Why me?”; “What did I do to deserve this”; or “Why did have to get the worst case anyone has seen?”. Doesn’t make sense. Of course, in life what happens won’t always makes sense - no rhyme or reason , it just is and accept it. 

When I was lying in my ICU bed for a few months now attached to life support as I couldn’t breath on my own (mechanical ventilator via a tracheostomy), and the only movement I had was my shoulders, I was obviously teary thinking “Is this my life?”. Dr Zuege said to me a couple of times, “If you don’t give up, I won’t give up”.  Not wanting to disappoint, I didn’t give up as I had a doctor in my corner cheering me on. Flash forward to 2019, 2 more physicians have given me the same encouragement. Dr Chris White, my neuromuscular physician, did give the “truth” using the current GBS statistics that I probably won’t walk again nor will I ever have full function of my hands -  BUT he then said “I would love me to prove him wrong.” On my recent visit with my hospitalist I was having my low moments and at the end of the conversation Dr. Bhatia told me “I haven’t written you off.” They haven’t taken away my hope but still encouragement. I will not give up!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 50th Birthday to me

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician