It’s been one year at Skypointe

On August 5, 2019 marked my one year anniversary of arriving to AgeCare-Skypointe continuing care facility. Here there is all levels of care which falls under the umbrella of continuing care (assisted living, supportive living, long term care with mental health issues and long term care). I am on the top floor, which I kiddingly say “I’m on the penthouse floor.”

So many feelings that first day, finally being discharged after 700 days in the hospital with a warm goodbye from coworkers then welcomed to my new home by my mom, Sara and her children - Casendra, William and Elysia. The Paterson family unpacked my belongings while my mom and I did the paperwork. Sharing smiles at my first meal as Elysia tried to feed me fries. It is cute to watch. 

All my medical staff have been wonderful and have made me quickly feel a part of a family. Sharing stories and plenty of laughs too. The bantering back and forth makes it feel like a normal life. I can’t say enough good things about my assigned physician - Dr. Bhatia. He has been supportive and encouraging from day one, wanting me to succeed in my recovery. Helping me find a sense of independence in my dependent world by finding Wifi plugs at Costco so I can control my fan or lamp through my iPad. With so many referrals he has had to do for me this past year, we kidded he has become a referralogist. I count myself very lucky having Dr. Bhatia on my team. 

One of the things I have learned about this disease and myself is the importance of being an advocate for yourself as well as taking the initiative to make things happen. Learning to speak up for myself or other residents for patient care is important. I agreed to be co-chair for the LTC Resident & Family Council. I don’t really participate in the recreational activities here so thought at least this is one way to be involved. I do not want to think where I would be if I had not taken the initiative, with the help of my friends, finding a massage therapist and a physiotherapist coming multiple times during the week. It has made a huge difference in where I am today in my movement and mobility. Choosing them was random but I couldn’t have asked for two better therapists for my recovery. 

At 47/48 years of age, living in a care facility is not what I imagine for myself, that is for sure. This past month learning I had to resign my position at the hospital (a job I enjoyed doing) and that I was labeled “functional quadriplegic due to Guillian Barre Syndrome” by my neuromuscular physician was hard, difficult to absorb. This disease has taken away the independence gained as an able-body and now I feel I am at square one again. Having to see how I can gain back some sense of independence in a very dependent world. One way is friends have helped me find apps or devices so I won’t have to rely so much on the nursing staff to do things for me. 

Over the next year one of my goals is to get into and operate a powered wheelchair. This should provide me with some freedom like taking myself downstairs to just sit outside in the fresh air. I have seen improvements in my mobility in the 6 months since I started doing physio. Though it will be painful, I am looking forward to see where I will be in my mobility at this time next August. One of my goals is to try to prove that my body is still healing - showing myself and others that I will continue to get better. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me