Bring in the Contraband

To get a drink of water I would get it by a sponge stick (not something I would recommend). One day a nurse brought me the cup of water but gave me a straw to drink. I was surprised I had that capability, so was not going to correct her. So for a few weeks it would go back and forth between using a sponge or a straw depending on the nurse. I had told my mom how normal I felt by drinking with a straw. When my mom was with me, it became a funny time looking around if there were nurses around before giving me a straw to have my water.

I had 2 ICU nurses, Kiki and Darby who would give me “contraband “ as we called it - I was in so much pain when I was being transferred to the Lazy-Boy chair or when I was being changed. The hypersensitivity I was experiencing made some days unbearable. One weekend, Darby couldn't take my pain, she snuck in my reward (of sorts)- a cherry popsicle. It’s basically water but frozen - such a wonderful taste after 8 months of water from a sponge. My nurse Kiki, snuck in my other contraband - Timmy’s double-double stepped tea - how yummy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me