Happy Birthday Laura

Even though it was in ICU, we made the best of it and enjoyed my visit week with Bruce. His handy skills cane in handy fixing a few things around the house my mom had noticed plus he hung up the ceiling fan for the master bedroom too. He was very kind and bought munchies for the ICU staff as a thank you for caring for me - they were so enjoyed and appreciated.

Now that my O2 sats have stabilised, I was transferred back to my old room on unit 39 where I had to prepare myself to be transferred to Foothills. The first thing - learning to sit in a wheelchair. The pain was incredible - the lifting with a full body sling to the wheelchair, then the simple action of bending my knees in a sitting position. The first try I lasted 30 minutes, then I got to about 2 hours straight before the pain became intolerable.

During this preparation process, another birthday has come. I never thought I would be in the hospital for a second year. My dad came to visit and enjoy my birthday celebrations too. We were able to play a game or two of cribbage which was nice. “While I was sleeping”, my nurse had decorated my room with streamers, balloons and a Happy Birthday sign. What a way to wake up that morning! After lunch Dr. Samis arranged a wonderful surprise - being a warm sunny fall day - my dad, friend Chris, my nurse, Dr. Samis and the security guard brought me up to the helipad to see Calgary. How special - seeing the colours of the leaves and even the mountains. Later that day, my Mom had dropped off a carrot cake to share with friends and staff later - it was delicious. My friends Wally and Marilyn came up with my Mom as well as my friends Sara and John and their kids (Sierra, Ethan, Casendra, William and Elysia. What a wonderful birthday day - Elysia held stage and sang the two verses of “You are my Sunshine” with William singing “Happy Birthday “ again. The best gift, I gave myself - it was relatively a pain free day so I was able to enjoy my birthday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me