Leaving the ICU but back again

August 2017 - 11 months in ICU - able to stay up longer, able to get rid of my feeding tube - went from purée, to minced to soft/dysphasia foods and drinking water, juices and soda with a straw. Started to feel normal again enjoying things I used to do. The exciting part was being weaned off respiratory support. It was an exciting day when we were able to take out the mechanical ventilation from my room. Then I was left with only my nasal prongs and my tracheostomy for breathing assistance - was ventilated for a total of 300 days, that sure was a long time. My next big step was to leave the ICU and move to the respiratory unit (unit 39). Even though I knew it was a good thing, I was nervous and anxious about the move to the unit as the ICU staff had become a family to me, so it felt like leaving my safety net as there were still so many unknowns for me.

So off I go to unit 39, it was better than I expected. PLC’s ICU has an outreach program that follows patients that were in recently discharged from the ICU to another unit. Knowing I would see a few familiar face that week helped lessen my anxiety too. The staff there was also warm and encouraging making it an easy transition between units. The time came to discuss my next steps in my recovery, which was to travel to the Foothills Hospital - unit 58 acute rehabilitation. Oh boy another move?

Before heading to Foothills, they would like for me not to have any external orifices attachments with the exception of the Foley catheter. As there was no need for a PICC line, that was removed; and as my breathing was improving (I was spending less time with nasal prongs),Dr. Samis along with my respirologist decided it was time to remove the tracheostomy. It was the strangest feeling and scariest moment - they take out the tracheostomy and you feel you are gasping for air for a few seconds until your body has time to adjust to having a device being taken out. The sound of suction of skin around my neck was the weirdest sound I have ever heard. By the next day hearing from the nurses how fast my trach site was healing was amazing.

Unfortunately shortly after the trach I had trouble breathing, so had to go back on nasal prongs for oxygen. The cause for alarm was my low O2  and as we were going into a weekend, I headed back to the ICU to be observed and monitored.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me