We love you Laura

By mid-November I was more and more fully conscious, but was left with tubes coming from my throat as I was attached to a ventilator plus had a tracheotomy tube; had a PICC line for my IV lines; had a nasogastric tube coming from my nose and had a feeding tube (gastrostomy) too. Quite a change from before I was sick. Plus being in the ICU with all the bells and whistles going on in my room, it could be intimidating too.

Taking advantage of the time I was awake, my mom would read the cards that arrived. Wow, talk about feeling overwhelmed by the love, encouragement and support given by family, friends and coworkers. I was not aware of the impact I had made on others, so was not ready for the outpouring of love. It amazes me (even now) how a simple thing of showing kindness and encouragement can be returned to you. 

Looking the way I was, I am thinking it could be scary seeing me this way for children. I remember in late November, my friend Sara and husband John brought their 5 children and friend Char came to visit me. I have been a part of the Paterson’s lives since the oldest Sierra was 3 months old. It was so good to see them all. I was stunned how it didn’t seem to phase them and they would look at me as they did before I was sick. They were regular visitors through my many months in the ICU. Even when I went into isolation they would gown up and come in to visit. The littlest one, Elysia at age of almost 3, would tell her mommy she needs her yellow gown and gloves so that she could touch my arm or try to give me a side hug. It would melt my heart and bring a smile to my face too.

They would end their visit saying, “We love you Auntie Laura”. ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me