Feeling connected with the world


 It’s been a year and a half since being admitted to ICU, my contact to the outside world was limited. For starters, I was unable to speak for a good 10 months so communication was challenging for sure. When I was getting my voice back, I used my mom’s cellphone to phone family and friends to stay in touch. On my behalf, I was fortunate my friend Sara wrote on my Facebook page to update my family and friends on my condition and recovery. Here I lie in bed, and when not visiting with people or going to therapy, I watch TV for hours on end or ask the nurses to turn on my CD player and  close my eyes to nap.

In the new year, Kim (RT therapist) knew my goal was to return to work but more importantly she knew I needed to learn how to live as independantly as possible as a quadriplegic. One lesson to learn was how to communicate. The first step - learn what medical assisted devices are available for me. She gave me a card holder so I was able to play cribbage again. Then we looked at the technology aspect. My mom brought in my laptop to see what we could do. Using the USB outlet, we connected the LipSync device to my laptop. Toggling the device back and forth moved the cursor around the screen. Depending on whether I gave short breaths or long breaths I was able to create a Word or Excel document. It wasn’t long or fancy, but it was a start. As you can imagine, it winded me a few times. Then we tried a device (sorry can’t remember the name at the moment) that is similar to a headgear that you put over your head with a foam covered mouthpiece which goes into your mouth, using my head to move the cursor and then click on the online keyboard to create my document. It was less breathtaking that is for sure. Downside - in Word, I was not able to right click. The final device was the winner and it is the least techie of them all. My occupational therapist Cheryl took an impression of my mouth, attached it to a stick and at the end of the stick is a stylus. Using a touchscreen computer, you just type away. As my laptop is not a touchscreen, my Mom and my friend Bev went in search for me by going to the Apple store near Foothills. They came back with an iPad 10 pro 12.9 screen. How exciting! 

Kim downloaded some games for me and set me up with wifi. How wonderful to feel connected - to feel normal. As it turns out, using my “mouthpiece” most evenings, I found my neck muscles grow stronger too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me