Let’s play some music


One afternoon a lady with a guitar came into my room. She led the music therapy on Unit 58 Rehabilitation floor. She spent some time “getting to know you” and finding out what type of music I enjoyed. Had to tell her I cannot carry a tune, unless of course it’s in the privacy of my car or shower (haha). One of the songs we sang was Dancing Queen by ABBA as I shared how it was a request of one of my Mom’s friends as he passed. Thought that was great - a bubbly song. Turns out my NA, Don, had told her about me enjoying music and that I might want to take part in music therapy.

Since I can’t really sing, I wasn’t sure about music therapy. Well, I think it was a great addition to my therapies. Sometimes we did more talking than singing on Wednesday afternoons, but it brightened the day. The music was all different genres and the type of music chosen depended on my feelings on that day. Feeling good/positive - chose lighter and bubbly music; Having a low day - chose reflective music; and sometimes I was reminiscing about certain memories and music associated with them. Many times my Mom was there to join in my therapy sessions. One time I was remembering a song my Mom had sung to my sister and I when sleep evaded us. My Mom used to sit on my bed brushing her fingers over my forehead singing “Jacob’s ladder”. Sometimes my therapist would bring her speakers so we could play from her iPhone, which was great as there was one session we sang some faith songs. I was explaining to her, that throughout this journey I have had to put my faith in God to see me through this. A song came to mind that lifted my spirits, “Wings of an Eagle” by Steve Bell. We shared a laugh when we discovered we had both seen him sing live. Small world. One session we focused on meditation through music. With the combination of the yoga breathing and meditation music - I felt quite relaxed after that session. It is amazing how music can be such a positive outlet for a patient’s recovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me