Thankful for my nursing staff

Being in the hospital for a year and a half, I have been able to see the health care dollars at work. From the care received by doctors, nursing staff, therapists and even those in housekeeping; I was treated with dignity and respect and kindness.

In PLC ICU, my nurses Morgan, Chelsea, and Sweetie saw me through some of my dark days sharing their faith with me. Sharing a verse or two to give me encouragement and praying with me which gave me strength. Colleagues Darby and Kiwi (she was from New Zealand, hence the name) each brought me “contraband “ to make me feel better - cherry popsicles and Timmy’s stepped tea respectively. When I was transferred to PLC Unit 39 - my nurse Michelle decorated my room with streamers, balloons and a Happy Birthday sign and Dr Samis brought me up to the hospital helipad to see the city of Calgary to make my birthday special. I met a nursing aide (NA) who came from Nigeria and shared his story that it’s important to have faith when going through a journey. He spent 12 years in a refugee camp before coming to Canada, and grateful he is here to be able to help others. 

When I went to Unit 58 at Foothills, I was taken care of by a wonderful group of NAs/LPNs and the majority of them came to Canada from the Philippines. Some were nurses in the Philippines but Canada does not recognise their credentials, so many of them find a position as a nursing aide. Their kindness to the patients was evident during my stay on this unit. They also have a love of music. My first week there, I met Elvie she walked into my room singing “Tell Laura I love her, Tell Laura I need her..” - hard not to smile hearing that. It was a song from the 60’s. Had never heard it before. She sang that song many times as she walked into my room. Definitely brought sunshine into my room. 

The love of music seems to be a trait for the Filipino culture. One day I was drifting out of a nap when I remembered hearing singing and a guitar playing . There was my NA Don sitting at the end of the bed playing Ed Sheeran “Happier”. It was beautiful - couldn’t think of a better wake-up music than that.

I have met so many wonderful people along this journey. You have taken such good care of me - helping through my rough days and encouraging me further on my good days. Thank you to you all. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me