Life in a nursing home

At 48 years old, you don’t picture yourself to be living in a nursing home. The obvious difference is the generation gap between me and the rest of the clients in the facility. Majority of clients are 15+ years older than me and at a ladies meeting I met someone who was 103 years old (that’s over 50 years older than me!!). I remember my first night at Skypointe I met a lady who commented after I mentioned trying to go back to work, “Oh I am here until I die”. Our end goals are different; so this leads to mental challenges for me.

My time on unit 54 at PLC (transition unit) has helped me prepare what I was going to face at Skypointe. I not could become anti-social, which means having meals in the dining room for my wing plus take part in the activities for the facility. Went to the September birthday celebrations, ladies group and an afternoon social with a guy entertaining us with 50/60 music. All were delightful,  but feel I couldn’t connect to be comfortable in honesty. Thankful I can do “small talk”so we aren’t eating in silence or having awkward silence too.

My table has 3 lovely ladies, Maria, Sandra and Cecilia who all in their 80s. I haven’t had a meal with them that we don’t have a laugh or two.  Nice having the nursing staff joining in with our laughs too. Where we seat is in the back of the dining area so I can see all the tables - it has allowed me to observe my new family - the 6W Martindale to help me feel at home, giving me smile and less depressed too.

Tram, who speaks Mandarin but all hear is “da-da”. Her husband comes everyday by bus to help with feeding her meals. Found out they have been married for 67 years! Papa Tram, as he is called, is a sweet man. If he is getting a bib for Tram and sees you don’t have one, he comes over and puts one on you too.

Patrick - what a sweetheart. He is about 6 feet tall and has Parkinson’s so he shuffles into the dining room. I could only smile when I saw me wheel in another client that sits at his table. It was adorable to watch. Sometimes he stops at my table for a hello or to pat me on the shoulder hen he passes by.

Carol - she doesn’t talk but she twirls hair except when she is eating. For a wee thing her upper arms are strong having her arms above her shoulders majority of the day. As I had never seen anyone do this before I asked the nurse and it’s explained to me it is a coping mechanism for her anxiety. Wow - learn something everyday.

Brings smiles to my day. Thankful for them.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me