Nothing better than a good shower

On my journey living with GBS, you realize the things one would take for granted you would always can do. Things such as scratching that itch on your nose or scalp; pressing the remote control to channel for the tv; picking up the phone to answer the call; and having a shower. 

I remember having a shower the morning of September 9th but then by the next day I was in ICU and intubated. Then I spent 6 weeks going in and out of consciousness and being critical acute, but when I finally came through I was paralyzed from the neck down so we could only do bed baths and washing my hair was with a facecloth as I had minimal neck movement to lift my head. When I left the ICU in September 2017, I still had not had a shower as there was no commode I could use and be safe for all of us. Off to Foothills I went for rehabilitation and getting more comfortable with sitting in a wheelchair but the bed baths would continue as there wasn’t a commode we could use to ensure the safety of patient and staff. Heading back to Peter Lougheed to await placement to a long term care facility in April 2018. I was talking with my discharge planner in May 2018 wishing I could have a shower. It’s been about 1.5 years since I had a real shower, never realized I would miss it has much as I do. Hazel mentioned it to my hospitalist and he couldn’t believe and next thing I knew - a commode was found and would be safe for both me and the staff. 

The day has arrived - I am going for a real shower!!! Now that I was getting a shower, I was nervous as they lifxted me off the bed in a sling to the commode. Luckily the shower closet was next to my room, so my travel was short. The nurse turned on the water and began pouring the water over my head. Talk about heaven - the water running over you felt like you were brand new again and clean. Still received my daily bed baths, but once a week I received my heavenly treat. Now at Skypointe, I receive showers twice a week. Continues to be a treat, not only do I get that clean feeling, my nursing assistants give good head massages when washing my hair. I sigh and say thank you because I feel so good after every shower. Definitely won’t taking a shower for granted again. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me