Getting a physiotherapist

Learning from waiting over 12 weeks to find out I had an appointment to see neuromuscular physician, Dr. Chris White, I wasn’t going to wait that long to see how long I would have to wait and see Dr. Stephanie Plamandon, the Rehabilitation physician. So in early March I confirmed they received my referral from Dr White’s office but couldn’t tell me how long the wait time would be. I waited a couple of weeks later to find out there is a 6 month wait list!. Well there was no way I was going to wait for another 6 months without physiotherapy. With the help of my friend Karen, we found a mobile physiotherapist who could come to start doing some physio while waiting for my rehab physician appointment. I met with Kashish Goel and he has been coming to my nursing home 3 days a week to do physiotherapy exercises.

It is amazing how far I have come in a short period since starting weekly physio sessions, an hour in length. The biggest change I can see is with my leg mobility. I was able to move my legs side to side but that was pretty much it. In the 3 months since starting my physio, the biggest change has been my legs. It a good couple of months breathing through the pain of the tight muscles (calves, hamstrings, quads and arm muscles too). I vocally expressed my pain - “Ow, Ow”; “Ouch, Ouch”; “Holy Toledo”; “Shoot”; “Frig”; as well as shedding a few tears too. Trying to use my yoga breathing to breathe through my pain, I have my eyes closed to concentrate. In between my vocal expressions, I would also talk out where the pain was coming from. This helped Kashish and myself that pain I was feeling was in the correct location. Finding my right side is stronger than my left side, so thinking probably being right handed has something to do with that. 

As of today (May 31, 2019), my movements includes:
*With assisted resistance (lying flat on my bed) - able to bring my arms part way than Kashish provides assistance to have my arm go above my head
*With assisted resistance  (lying flat on my bed) - able to move my arms out to the side and back to alongside my body
*With assisted resistance (lying flat on my bed) - push my leg down from a straight up position 
*With assisted resistance (lying flat on my bed)- push/pull my legs out to the side and back in again 
*With assisted resistance (lying flat on my bed) - my knee is bent to towards my chest, pushed my leg out in straight position 
*With assisted resistance (lying flat on my bed) - my knee is bent towards my chest, attempt to raise my leg towards a straight position 
*While in bed and while sitting in my wheelchair - can kick my legs up and down as well as move my legs side to side 
*While lying flat in bed - can raise my arms onto my chest (the right hand is easier than the left)
*My fingers are getting better in curling and straightening (the goal is to get the dexterity back to grip a powered wheelchair controller)
*Have started sitting on the side of my bed during one of my physio sessions each week. We lower the bed so my feet rests on the floor. I have been able to kick my lower legs while Kashish provides light support. Of course the aim is to build core and back muscles as well as gain my sense of balance back.

On Thursday May 30th, 2019 - not only did sit on the side of my bed, this time I was able to sit upright UNASSISTED! Plus was able to move to one side then bring myself back to the middle and go to the side and back to the middle. Repeated going front to back too. It was a good day, but tiring too. 

Left photo - March 23: Second time sitting on the side of my bed with support by my Physiotherapist Kashish 

Right photo - May 30: About the 6th time sitting on the side of my bed but this time I am not being support by anyone. It’s all me!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician

Happy 50th Birthday to me