Playing the “What if...” game

When you face a challenge or you find yourself at a crossroad, after making the decision you see the outcome; and then you play the “What if...” game with yourself. I know I played this game when my sister Kathryn died. “Was I a good sister?” Or “What if I did this?” Or “What if I did that?” would Kathryn still be here.

No surprise, I found myself lately play the “What if...” game with my GBS recovery. Understanding in my past dealing with bullying, I kept my feelings inside. I then do something silly, like stub my toe, and I would explode crying over something that occurred months earlier. Through my counselling (2009-2011/12), I learned it was important to acknowledge the feelings not to hide them away, the lesson is not to dwell on those feelings.

I acknowledge my “What if...” statements but tell myself that I can’t them but I can learn from them moving forward (living in the present and looking forward to the future.

“What if I didn’t go to Extreme Pita on Sept 2 for the chicken wrap? Would I still contract the virus which contributes getting Guillian Barre Syndrome (GBS)?”

- “What if I had the chicken wrap but no stomach flu for 5 days, would I still get GBS?”

- “If I didn’t get myself so rundown, deleting my immune system; would the severity of my GBS case be so severe?”

- “Why me? What am I to learn from dealing with this disease?”

- “What if I started massage therapy earlier than I did?”

- “What if I started physiotherapy in the fall of 2018? Would I be further ahead in my recovery?”

- “What if I was told about South Health Campus’ Neuromuscular Rehabilitation Clinic in September 2018? Would my recovery progress be more ahead than where I am now?”

- “What if I didn’t go to the GBS afternoon education session in September 2018? I would never had met Dr. Chris White from SHC Neuromuscular Rehabilitation Clinic who recommended my GP send a referral to the clinic.” (Now through this clinic, I have a neurologist, occupational therapist and a physiotherapist)

As you see, so many questions and most have hypothetical answers as I can’t change the past to change my outcome. As the saying goes, “Stay calm and carry on”. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 50th Birthday to me

Meeting Dr. Chris White - Neuromuscular Physician